Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.

I have a 1999 56 Princess with twin Volvo Penta 610 HP

Customer Question

I have a 1999 56 Princess with twin Volvo Penta 610 HP diesel motors. Model number TAMD 122PEDC. I had a heating issue so I ran 3 gallons of muriatic acid, 32% gallons through the oil heat exchanger. I left in for 15 min and turned the motor over but did not start it and waited 5 min, then repeated and then started the motor and ran it for 20 min. This dropped the temperature down 20 degrees. Some of my boating friends are saying this was a mistake that I could have damaged seals or that their could other damage that could hurt the motor. Can someone let me know if this was ok?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hi Lon, my name is Jason.

Your friends are correct, and running any kind of acid through the cooling system is not something we would ever do. There is no way to know if your engine is damaged, but there is a potential for the acid to eat the seals in the seawater pump, eat the seawater pump impeller, and eat any and/or all of the coolers on the engine (heat exchanger, oil cooler, power steering cooler ect). That being said, there is no way to know if your engine is going to be damaged. However, if you find that you need a new impeller or pump, or if one of the coolers fails sometime quickly in the future, the failure can likely be blamed on the acid.

Did you have any further questions on the issue?

Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you

Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hi Lon,

It looks like you read my answer without replying back or putting through a rating for me. Please keep in mind the website did charge you to speak with me, but they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you out if no rating is put through. If you have a problem with the ratings box or can not see it please let me know.