Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

New problem with the port 454 Crusader engine. Still steams

Customer Question

New problem with the port 454 Crusader engine . Still steams a bit but doesn't go over 180 now . But what it does do now is that after running for about 30 mins ... Engine will just shutdown as if the ignition key was turned off . No sputtering . But it starts right back up no problem . After it shuts down the first time it will constantly do it .Leave the engine to cool down and it runs fine again for about 30 mins .Troubleshooting tips please ? Thanking you in advance
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Hello Joseph Tan here.

Do you notice if the gauges shut off? Can you get a jumper wire and connect one end directly to 12 volts and the other end directly to the positive side of the ignition coil and run the boat?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hmmmm will try ... Just notice tach gojng to zero of course ... Never really looked to see what the other guages do ... I usually try to start it up right away .
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Disconnect the gray wire at the tach or the ignition coil. If the tach shorts it grounds the ignition killing spark. It could be a faulty tach.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay will try ... Will let you know ... Thank you
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Your welcome.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But one question why would it do it after running for awhile ?
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Who knows it might take it that long to fail or the engine to loose voltage. Temperature can cause electrical components to fail.

Corrosion will create heat and the loss of continuity and voltage loss.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay ... Will try ..
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Thank you.....Keep me posted.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will of course !!
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Ok great.