Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

I have a tohatsu m5b I can't get out of reverse the linkage

Customer Question

I have a tohatsu m5b I can't get out of reverse the linkage seams to be right all the way down to where it goes into the lower foot. I've taken the rod out that goes into the foot but there's nothing holding it there's just a metal tube that it goes in and it moves up and down I can spin it in circles is there suppose to be something that it attaches to or am I doing wrong
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

The shift rod on the gearcase is supposed to be pinned to part 29 in the diagram. that is what shifts the engine from Neutral to FWD and REV. With you being able to remove the rod, the gearcase is going to need to come off the engine and be taken apart.