Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

Thank you, I attempted to change my plugs and wires on my

Customer Question

Thank you, ***** ***** to change my plugs and wires on my 1996 Ski-Nautique 176 PCM 351 Left hand rotor. It was running a little rough, now it is not running at all and I fear I have the wires in the wrong configuration on the cap. I need to verify that the firing order is 13726548, and how to determine where the #1 terminal is on the cap. Thanks, ***** *****
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: I think i've given you all the necessary particulars. It does have a new electronic ignition module and it was running OK, just a little miss. Now it will not crank at all.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Hello Bill. My name is Tan.

You have the correct firing order. To be sure of the #1 spark plug position the best way to find # 1 is to remove the # 1 spark plug and crank engine over till it blows your finger off the plug hole. Then look at the timing pointer on the front of engine harmonic balancer. They should be lined up at close to TDC. Then remove the distributor cap and the rotor should be pointing at # 1. Then if it is correct then follow the firing order 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 in a counter clock wise direction.

Do you follow the procedure?