Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Wondering if you can help before I take it to a mechanic,

Customer Question

hi wondering if you can help before I take it to a mechanic, all day the 25hp merc two stroke was running great then it started missing above 25% throttle, Looked back and the choke was on?(lid is a bit loose it is bunjee tied down and it must have wiggled it out) pushed it back in but still missed so I thought I must have foiled the plugs, put new ones in and it has the same problem any throtle over around 25% and it misses, Now I am thinking it is the fuel jet is blocked and is starving for gas. the gas lines and tank look a bit old. is there anything else I should check for before I pull it out of the water?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

All Mercurys are cataloged by serial number, can I get that number so I can see exactly which version of the 25 that you have.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Jason, My name is***** boat is tied up to the buoy in the Harbor but I could get to it tomorrow, it looks old after looking at google images looks like an 83 model, wow thats old, but it sure has/had lots of power. next year a new motor is in order.cheers
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hi Seth,

Is the engine misfiring but still reving up, or is it just getting to about 25% of full power and that's it, and it will not go any faster?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Jason, my wife is pissed at me for contacting you as my brother in law is coming over this weekend and has done a small engine course, so don't answer any questions if it saves any money, if it to late then .. yes it bogs down when I give it more than 1/4 throttle. it will not rev up.cheers.
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

The website did charge you to speak with me. Did you want to continue or call it quits?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I thought I would only be charged if the problem was solved? but if I am wrong that would be a real waist of money if I don't continue. yes it bogs down when I give it more than 1/4 throttle. it will not rev up.cheers.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I see I might be able to get a refund, I have sent an email to support. for a request.