Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a 1994 Wellcraft Eclipse with a mercruiser 5.7. I had

Customer Question

I have a 1994 Wellcraft Eclipse with a mercruiser 5.7. I had wood rot on the prort side skirt so I replace it. I was able to cut out the side mounted shifter but now I am trying to remove the arm in order to remount the arm. I removed the rubber cap on the pull button that allows you the rev the engine with enganging the propeller and unscrewed the screw that holds in onto a shaft. I then tried to pull the arm off the shaft but it onyl came half way and seems like there is something stopping it. Does the arm need to be in a certain position in order to slide off the shaft?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Did you remove the set screw in the handle?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am guessing not. I removed the two screws from the back side of the arm which held on the front plastic half of the arm. This allowed me to see inside the arm and how the alloy arm was on a grooved shaft as well as the wires to the trim switch. Where can I located the set screw?. I looked all over for one but could not see it.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

The set screw will be in the bottom of the handle. Before you pull the handle off mark the location of the handle before you pull it off. Or be sure it is neutral before removing the handle.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you. You confirmed that there must be one so I looked harder. I figure out that the lever must be in the full reverse position(arm in horizontal position with top towards stern) in order to have access to the set screw. In this position, there is a channel in the bow side of the unit that allows you to put a 1/8 alen key through an opening all the way to the set screw.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Ok once you have the screw loose pull throttle back to neutral position. Now pull straight out on handle it should come off.