Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I am trying to locate the fuel pump on my outboard 2001 50hp

Customer Question

I am trying to locate the fuel pump on my outboard 2001 50hp EL ... I don't have manual and I asked local boat shop and they basically told me women can't work on motors😡
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: The boat will run for short time the. Will cut out o replaced the fuel filters all fuel lines from tank to engine
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: The fuel pump hasn't been maintained for t least 5 years I know of
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Could I get the engine serial number please?

When you run the boat and it starts to act up squeeze the primer bulb does the engine pick up and run?

If you have a bad fuel pump the primer bulb will do the same thing as the fuel pump. The primer bulb is a hand fuel pump. Now your symptoms could be fuel starvation or bad fuel pump.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it does run better when bulb is squeezed that is why I figured it was the fuel pump...I was raised by a master technician and have some basic knowledge...I just have no idea where the fuel pump is or what it looks like on this engine
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The fuel line and filter Re new
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

That's why I need the engine serial number. All Merury's are cataloged by serial number not model year.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I need to go to the shed and get it can hold few minutes
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Yes I can.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OT181269
2001
50ELPTO
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Ok here is the fuel pump # 1 kit # 2. To locate the fuel pump follow the fuel lines from the carburetors it will lead you to the fuel pump. The pump will be on the port side of the motor.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury_marine_parts/sn/0T181269/1050412YD/3373_90

Post back if you need further assistance.

Thank you....Tan

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you very much
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Your very welcome....Please don't forget to positively rate my help as that is the only way I get credit for helping you...

Follow up questions are always welcome.

To rate click on the stars at the top of the page 3 or more please.

http://www.justanswer.com/boat/expert-suntan/