Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

My 4.3 v6 merc ran great last year was winterized properly

Customer Question

my 4.3 v6 merc ran great last year was winterized properly etc. justnow able to put over yesterday, so in yard i changed water sep. changed battery with new, changed oil and filter all looked good no h20 in oil... went to start first time had a hydro-lock, pulled plugs and cranked engine water came out of port side of engine.... when starting for first time i had hose and ears hooked up and had water running first a good 10 mins before i turned key to start.....??????
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Do you know what all was done for the winterization?

Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

How many cylinders had water in them?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
two on port side
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Ok, how was the boat winterized?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
history is the boat is a 68thunderbird 19' cheyenne and motor was replaced by very reputable marine and merc mechanic who has worked on my dads boat for years. boat is now mine... motor was taken from another boat that had some stringer issues.. boat was winterized after last run of season at ramp , while engine was still warm , outdrive was placed in drum of anti-freeze solution and with a 12/volt pump hooked to muffs ,solution was pumped thru engine till it circulated
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Was the engine running during this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
im not sure of eng year but i have serial number, it was replaced last spring annd as i said boat and motor ran awesome all season
yes , the thermostate was still open so the boat only ran a few mins till circulated
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Ok, currently, is there any water in the oil?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no, i inspected the drained oil and collected in clear plastic bottles, after changing and cranking eng i cked repeatedly and still find no signs of milky oil
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Ok, did you get the water out of the cylinders, and did you notice if it looked like antifreeze?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i did put a new battery in the boat and with all plugs out, i cranked till all water was out and i sprayed with wd-40 and cranked again with a white towell to collect muck so i could inspect but didnt c any anti-freeze
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Great. See if you can get the engine to start to dry it out better. Only leave the water on for a few minutes before stating. Then after a brief run, remove the plugs and see if they look wet, and check the oil for any water.

I need to go out and get the kids. Ill be back on about 30 minutes.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
do what u need to do... i had kids i know what thats like lol.... i'm home now but am planning to go down again tomorrow and will plan on doing just that... will put muffs on and turn water on a few mins then shut water off and start motor and allow to run a min then shut motor off and re- ck to see if water back in cylinders, is that what ur saying?, i did buy new plugs but i did put the old plugs back in for overnight and shot with the wd-40 before i left
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Do not run the engine with out water. Turn the hose on, then start the engine. The water does not need to flow through the pump or the block before the engine fires. Allow the engine to idle for a few minutes, then shut off, and check the cylinders and the oil. I will come online around 10 AM tomorrow.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the boat was in a slip all last season june- oct, so i didnt have to back in the ramp at any time nor did i have to back up fast or never had to shut down quickly and the boat never ran hot all season. the day i yanked it out i went for a small ride& had everything set up in truck inorder to winterize there at ramp The boat was covered and i had a trickel chg left on battery and i also had that electrical plumbers tape i drapped around eng for the winter, the stuff that keeps pipes from freezing. i looking at the eng did notice the bolts on the exhaust manifold port side have paint off bolts where as the other side seems fresh or possible factory paint .... the boats in Delaware so we really didnt have that bad of winter last year
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i will do just that... thanks again
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

When the engine was installed, the port riser could have been removed to make the clearance needed to get it in. Sort of common on smaller engine bays.