Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

Just purchased 2005 Craft Launch 25. Is it important to keep

Customer Question

Hi, just purchased 2005 Chris Craft Launch 25. Is it important to keep cover on boat while docked? If not covered and rain occurs, can there be any serious problems that occur? In other words, how important is it to keep boat covered when docked and unattended. Many thanks, Paul
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Charles, please see question above and provide your advice. Thanks.
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Keeping a boat covered will help protect the seats and the overall appearance of the boat much nicer. Keeping a boat in the water, ans should it rain on that boat, the most important item that you need to make sure is working is the automatic bilge pump. If it is not working, the boat can sink

Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

The bad part about having a boat covered when it rains, is that not all boat covers all 100% water tight, some water will still get into the boat. This is not a bad thing if you can get to the boat and uncover it and allow it to dry. Otherwise mold wil start to grow on the seats and the bottom side of the cover.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will a working bilge pump keep water out of engine compartment?With dual batteries, assuming reasonable charge, how long will it pump before running batteries down? Thanks
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

The water will drain into the bilge of the boat, and then the pump will pump it overboard. Leaving about an inch or less in the bottom of the boat. Most of the time the auto bilge is only connected to one battery, the pump would run for several hours before the battery died.

Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

The typical location of this pump is directly below the engine.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Any other questions on this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No. Thanks
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Great. If you would, please select a positive rating for me, this is the only way that the site compensates me.

Thank you in advance.