Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2006 Mercury 150 outboard and the water/fuel filter

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Mercury 150 outboard and the water/fuel filter alarm went off this am after I installed a new one 2 weeks ago. As I started to run it thinking it was a false alarm the engine suddenly went into low rpm and died. I managed to use my trolling motor to get back and brought it home. I bought a new filter and installed it thinking the old one may have been clogged and tried starting it but it never quite catches. It turns over fine but won't start. I pulled the plugs and squirted some fogging oil into the plug holes and it almost caught but didn't. What could the problem be? I also pulled the plugs and turned the engine over a few times to bow out any excess fuel. Nothing really came out.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: It did the same thing about a month ago and I replaced the filter and it ran fine. The engine never died that time - just the alarm beeps warning about the water in the fuel filter.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

All Mercurys are cataloged by serial number, can I start by getting that number?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi this is Steve, the SN is 1B433086
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.

Hi Steve, got it.

The engine need to have its compression checked, spark output checked, fuel pressure checked, and possibly be hooked up to a scan tool. Are you able to do any of those checks on your own?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No - I don't have any of the tools required to do so. It's def getting good spark. I suspect either a vapor lock or bad fuel got into the engine.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What is something I can check here at home?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I tried starting it using a reserve tank of good gas but it just won't quite catch. Either it's not getting any fuel or too much. I can't tell. Is there a way to check the fuel pump?
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.

It's not vapor lock, that only happens on a hot engine not a cold engine.

The engine needs 4 things to run. It needs compression, spark output, fuel pressure, and a functioning EFI/fuel management system. The way to check the fuel pump would be to hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the engine, crank the engine over, and see what the gauge shows for fuel pressure. Can you do that?

Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.

Are you all set?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No. I'm bringing it in for service tomorrow. Thought it might be something I could work on. Clearly it's not.