Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I bought a kawasaki 900 stx used after replacing the engine

Customer Question

I bought a kawasaki 900 stx used after replacing the engine i hooked up the electrical and when I went to start itthe engine tried to turn over but it wouldn't. After attempting to start it several times i saw a little smoke came up from by the starter. So i went to disconnect the battery and those lines were both very hot. I figure i have a short but don't know where to start to look for it. Any suggestions?
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Remove the spark plugs and try to get the engine to turn over then. If it still will not spin, make sure that all of the battery cable connections are tightened securely. This includes the ground cable from the battery to the block, and the positive cable from the battery to the solenoid.

If all if that is good and with the plugs out, the engine will still not turn over, try to rotate it by hand at the coupling between the engine and the jet. This could be a bad engine, or it is full of water.