Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have a detroit diesel 8v71 in a boat. it runs fine but it

Customer Question

i have a detroit diesel 8v71 in a boat. it runs fine but it sucking the oil out of the crankcase and it coming out of exhaust and dumping it in the water
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

It sounds like it is burning oil, the engine will need to have compression tested and checked for blow by as a start to diagnosing the problem. Some oil consumption/burning is acceptable with these engines but excessive amounts will generally require and overhaul of the engine. Make sure the breathing is not restricted. Also check for oil in the coolant and coolant/oil in the fuel. Make sure you are not getting water/coolant/fuel in your oil pushing the level higher than it should be.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have figured that much already and in this case the head had no seals on the valves causing the oil to blow by the valves .
Expert:  Joe replied 3 months ago.

Correct, that is why I expressed one of the areas to check was the head. So you have confirmed that was the source of the problem, do you still need any further assistance or have any other questions related to the problem or any other problem?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No