Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

1998 115 mercury idles rough and backfires though exaust

Customer Question

1998 115 mercury idles rough and backfires though exaust runs fine when I open throtle
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Motor was running fine at idle then we powered up to the other side. when I idled down the motor started running rough and started smoking badly,.would not idle right after that but ran good when I throttle up
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Been running fine the only thing I did different was fuel up that morning. I added a can of sealfoam as I always do.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

There are numerous things that can cause those symptoms and a few things will need to be checked. I don't know what you have for tools or abilities. Did you have any general or direct questions that you specifically wanted me to answer, or did you want me to explain everything we would check in the shop?

Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

It looks like you read my reply and logged off without responding back. The website did charge you to speak with me, did you still need help with this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Replaced oil pump and plugs, problem solved
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Glad to hear you got it going again.

Happy boating!

Jason