Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 2009 Mercury 40 hp bigfoot. I am on a fresh water

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2009 Mercury 40 hp bigfoot. I am on a fresh water chain of lakes and sucked sand up from a sand bar when going thru one of the channels. The beepers went off and went into limp mode. I have flushed it with muffs, and also used the threaded port on the pee hole. It has always peed strong but I still will have it go into limp mode above 3000 rpm. Any suggestions on what I should try next?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: It is a low hours engine 180 hours
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Sand running through the water pump will damage the impeller. It can also clog up the thermostat area, as well as pack the block full of sand if enough sand got into it. What we would do in the shop is change the impeller and inspect the pump housing for damage. Replace the thermostat. And when it's all apart with the lower unit off and the thermostat out, we would flush the block out with a garden hose.

That's what needs to be done, did you have any further questions on the issue?

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

I don't know how you want to leave this but that is where you stand on your end and what needs to be checked. I think that should do it but I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Question sessions never close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

It looks like you read my answer without replying back or putting through a rating for me. Please keep in mind the website did charge you to speak with me, but they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you out if no rating is put through. If you have a problem with the ratings box or can not see it please let me know.

Thanks

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hello, just checking in, how are you making out?