Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I Have a 2007 merc 225 pro XS outboard. While fishing in NH

Customer Question

Hi ***** a 2007 merc 225 pro XS outboard. While fishing in NH my outboard started an audible alarm (4 beeps every 2 minutes). I checked the engine mounted oil tank it was full. My bilge oil tan was less than half full so I topped it off and the bilge tank does not appear to have any monitor system or alarm. I bled the onboard oil tank using the suggested method to purge any air that may have made it into the system, the onboard oil reservoir also refills very quickly when I loosen the cap. I drained the onboard fuel water separator system and did not notice any water present. The boat runs well at all rpm ranges but the alarm continues to sound. Any suggestions to fix this problem if it is other than a faulty alarm.
Thanks
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Hi Tom, my name is Jason.

The 4 beep alarm happens if the engine thinks there is water in the fuel or if the engine thinks the engine mounted oil tank is low.

Start by disconnected the water sensor at the vapor tank. If the alarm stops, there is either water in the vapor tank or the water sensor is bad.

If the alarm still sounds with the water sensor disconnected the problem is going to be a bad oil tank. What happens with the oil tanks is there is a magnetic float that the oil sensor reads. Over time that float gets water logged with oil, and It sinks to the bottom of the tank, making the engine think there is low oil in the engine mounted tank. Replacing the tank will correct the issue. (this is a common problem, it happens on all Mercury outboards)

Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

I don't know how you want to leave this but that is where you stand on your end and what needs to be done. I think that should do it but I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Question sessions never close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Was there anything else Tom?

Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

It looks like you read my answer without replying back or putting through a rating for me. Please keep in mind the website did charge you to speak with me, but they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you out if no rating is put through. If you have a problem with the ratings box or can not see it please let me know.

Thanks

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Hi Tom. How are you making out?