Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a mercruiser 350 5.7l 260hp its a right hand engine

Customer Question

I have a mercruiser 350 5.7l 260hp its a right hand engine what i wanted was a left hand i cant get the engine started. when i put the starter from the right hand engine and put it on the other right hand engine it starts what can i do to get the engine to start with the starter it has
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

I'm not sure I follow what's going on here. Are both engines right hand and are both starter for a right hand rotation motor?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
One engine is right hand the other is left hand I bought the long block from daddyo what happened instead of sending me the left hand they sent me a right hand. I am down in the islands so it does not make sense sending it back because of the cost
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

You can make that engine a left hand by changing the timing gear to chain and gears. The starter from the left hand engine will not work. So you have to get the correct starter for a right hand rotation or change the gears to chain .

The transmission will be wrong also.