Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Power steering pump works, stern drive turns very little. I

Customer Question

power steering pump works, stern drive turns very little. I hit a rock and damaged the prop three weeks ago and haven't driven the boat since. the piston on the transom moves full travel in both directions but the stern drive doesn't move full travel in both directions.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: my boat is a Monterey 246 sel with a Volvo Penta*****
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

If you disconnect the steering cable all together and try to turn the drive by hand, can you turn it by hand in both directions, or does it still have a limited range of travel?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Jason my name is***** haven't tried disconnecting the steering cable. I will have to try that tomorrow. How do I turn it by hand, just push the stern drive?
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hi Steve,

That's all you have to do, is just swing it back and forth by hand. Let me know how you make out.

Jason

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
will do. Thx Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

You bet.