Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Cant get the oil pan off, It's a 4.3l V6. I got all the

Customer Question

cant get the oil pan off
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: It's a 4.3l V6. I got all the bolts I can find but it is still stuck.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: It's still in the boat, I have not pulled the engine
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Could I get the engine serial number please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not sure where it is but the boat is a 2001 bayliner with a 4.3 V6 in it. I am trying to drop the oil pan out but not having any luck. I thought I got all the bolts (10) out but she is still stuck.
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

I still need engine serial number. Why are you removing the oil pan?

http://forums.iboats.com/filedata/fetch?id=7081033&d=1400617699

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Where do I find the serial number? I got some water in the intake when replacing the heads. I want to make sure I get it al out before trying to start the boat.
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

You don't need to remove the oil pan to get rid of water in the cylinders. Crank engine over with spark plugs out. Start engine let run till warmed up. Then check engine oil is it milky? If yes then pump the oil out and refill. It takes about 4 oil changes to get all the water out.

I have never in 40 years removed an oil pan to get water out of an engine.

I posted a link for the location of the serial number. Here it is again.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well, when the water mixed with he oil, it turned very thick. So thick that it will not drain out of the drain plug. I found a tag stamped to the side of the block behind the starter. The serial number is ***** Hope this helps.
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Ok on the oil pan you will have 10 bolts # 10 and then 2 studs # 8 with nuts # 9 at the front.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury_marine_parts/static/img/COMMON/1249.gif

Did you get the nuts at the front?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Dude, seriously? Never mind, I found them. You could have just said, "yeah, Mercruiser decided to hide two friggin nuts way the hell up in the ass end. You can't see them and you will need multiple 3" extensions to get to it. It would also help to be some kind of contortionist or have arms made or rubber." Any way, It's out and, no surprise, covered in that thick filmy sludge. My only guess is that that's what happens to the full synthetic marine oil? Otherwise, the normal routine of just drain fill, run to temp and drain would have been enough. Thanks anyhow.
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Yeah if I have tpo remove the opil pan I pull the engine. Chancesd are it will leak as you can't do a good install of the oil pan in the boat. I don't know what this means. "Dude, seriously?"

Mercruiser didn't build this engine GM built it.

As stated earlier you don't have to remove the oil pan to get rid of dirty oil. I can't see what you have so it isn't as simple as you think for me. They also used all aluminum pans which are altogether different. So I have no idea what you upset about with me.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just annoyed. If you have been doing this for 40 years, why did you ask me to climb under the damn motor knowing I could not see the serial number with the starter in place? If you have been doing this for as long as you say, (and I have no doubt you have) you surely have removed a pan off a few 4.3 Mercs. Next time, maybe start the conversation with, "did you remove the two hidden nuts?" Simple enough.
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Not if you had the 4.3 with the aluminum oil pan. Not all 4.3 Mercs are the same. You should be where I am talking to people that haven't a clue as to what they are doing and expect me to know everything. I don't know everything.

Sorry for your frustration but I didn't fill your motor with water and I wouldn't be pulling the oil pan for an issue like you are having.

Good luck with reassembly.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I hear you. Appreciate your help. Just a little salty for being so stupid. Had a feeling the intake gasket was not properly seated but thought I was good. Guess I was wrong and now I have to pay the price. Still not sure why the oil turned to sludge but there was no way to flush it out. That crap was everywhere and sticky as hell. No way to clean it all out without pulling the pan. Thank you and sorry for being an ass. Have a good day. Time to put her back together.
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

You do the same. When you mix water and oil together they turn to sludge. I have seen it happen so bad that the oil was bubbling out the oil fill and dipstcke tube.

Thank you......Tan

Post back if you need further assistance.