Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

I am trouble shooting no power on my boat - I have a Marinco

Customer Question

I am trouble shooting no power on my boat - I have a Marinco power adapter part no Part # S20-15 and think it has gone bad. I seem to remember that there was a light that illuminated when in operation and now it does not. Can you suggest how I can trouble shoot it
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Do you have a volt meter to do some voltage tests?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a volt meter - and have done some low voltage testing
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
how do i tell which one is the ground
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

This will not be low voltage. You need to put your meter on AC volts and must be set to read 115 volts. With the black test lead put it in the ground pin (round) hole then put the red lead in one of the other slots. Testing both slots. What is your voltage reading?

Then put the meter leads in both slotted holes. What does meter read?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
where is the ground pin hole - and which slot is the ground
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

The round hole is ground. Then the neutral is the T slot and hot is the straight slot.

Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Here is a pic of the slots and there labeled. W white neutral, G green earth ground, L black load. If no voltage on the plug then test the receptacle you are plugged into. Test G to L and then test W to L . You should have voltage reading on both tests. If no voltage on the adapter and voltage at the receptacle the adapter is bad. If no voltage at the receptacle then you power supply to receptacle isn't there. Check any circuit breakers or contact the Dockmaster.

This should solve any issues. But if you have questions you can still post back.

Please don't forget to positively rate my help.

Thank you Tan

To ask questions on future issues you can reach me through this link.