Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

Customer Question

I HAVE A 190HP MERCURY MERCRUISER MODEL NUMBER a436221 what year is this and is this a good engine is it a chevrolet ford or what and where would i get a complete rebuild kit from the engine had fresh water in it and is stuck with minor rust on top of pistons and on cylinder walls advise please
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Model year is 1985-86.

This engine is built by Mercruiser around a 460 Ford cylinder head.

The engine is allot of trouble due to the age and make. The engine is an oddball. Parts are available. As for rebuild kit you would have to get parts you need individually.

These engine have problems with manifolds, risers and getting water in the oil due to water pump seal failures.

Now if you know what parts you need I can get you a list together.

Depending on how bad the rust is in the cylinders the engine may not be worth rebuilding.

The repair of this engine can get expensive. The engine block is all aluminum and is Mercruiser only. The block is NLA(no longer available) from Mercruiser.

What kind of condition is the boat in?