Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

My I/O Viking runs great until it either planes or hits

Customer Question

My I/O Viking runs great until it either planes or hits choppy water. Then it sputters as if the fuel is being choked and dies. It will usually start again right away, only to do the same thing.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Simply put-- if the boat is flat it runs great. Once the bow rises, it feels like it's running out of gas.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Checked for water in the gas, changed the separator, and had the carb rebuilt.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Can you run the engine on a different fuel source like a 5 gallon gas can? This is symptoms of debris in the fuel tank blocking the fuel pick up tube screen. Running on a different fuel tank will eliminate the boat side fuel system as a possible cause.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I removed the fuel gauge sending unit and siphoned the tank virtually dry. I then added 5 gallons of 93 octane fuel with a bottle of Heet in it. The tank looked clean. Is there a filter at the point where the fuel line connects with the tank?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It feels like something is acting like a check valve that cuts off the fuel unless the boat is flat.
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

There is a screen on the end of the pick up tube. The fuel supply line has a anti siphon valve that can stick. It would make any difference if the boat was flat or not. This is why it acts like it is debris rolling around in the tank and only get stuck on the pick up tube when you are at an extreme position.

The only thing on the engine that could be an issue is electrical. Check the main plug that connects to the engine wiring harness. If the plug works loose it can loose contact when you hit waves or go into a turn.