Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

I have a wake challenger bayliner from 1997 and want to

Customer Question

I have a wake challenger bayliner from 1997 and want to change my fuel filer. I have the part. How do I release fuel system pressure before changing. Also, I'm looking at a post where the guy says he didn't fill the filer with gas before installing. Should I fill the filer with gas before installing or does it matter either way?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Where would the "schrader" valve be located on this enginge?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Is this a fuel injected engine?

Could I get the complete engine model number please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
fuel injection. Engine number 0k040296
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

The schrader valve # 10 is on the very front fuel rail # 14 port side. Remove the cap and press the little stem in till the pressure is relieved.

The engine will start allot easier with the filter filled with fuel. The fuel pump doesn't have to work as hard to get all that air out of the system.

Post back if you need further assistance.

Thank you.....Tan