Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.

I have a 2001 125 mercury outboard and its hard starting,

Customer Question

I have a 2001 125 mercury outboard and its hard starting, found that the starter was rebuild with aftermarket parts and damaged flywheel, could this be starting problem?
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've changed bulb and checked fuel flow and all is good. Carbs recently rebuilt. Could change of flywheel and proper rebuild of starter solve this problem?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hi Vinny, good morning my name is Jason.

Can you be more specifically by "hard starting"? Is the engine cranking over just fine but not starting, or is it not cranking over?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Jason
sorry took me awhile to reply.
It turns over and after awhile and constantly checking bulb for firmness and squeezing as ness it starts. But when it warm it seems ok.
removed flywheel and found loose magnets could this be cause?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Loose mags definitely could do it. What that would cause is low ignition system voltage. If the ignition system isn't getting enough voltage the cois either won't fire or it will take lots of cranking to get them to fire. Out of curiosity, how long have you owned the outboard for, and has it ever been any better or different for you in the past?