Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I am purchasing a 2005 Boston Whaler with a 2005 Mercury 90

Customer Question

I am purchasing a 2005 Boston Whaler with a 2005 Mercury 90 ELPT4S serial #1B186372. 320hrs. I just had an oil analysis done on the engine and transmission and the results came back. The analysis indicates an abnormal level of contamination present in the engine. Possible saltwater/brine contamination. Lab results is 84 ppm sodium and .5% water. They recommend to perform a cooling system pressure check.
The lower end has typical conditions for break in. Iron 654ppm and Aluminum 154ppm.
What does one do from here? Do you have to take the engine apart to see the damage?
Help please.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hi Troy, my name is Jason.

I read what you wrote. Is this just a one off sample or does the engine have a history of oil samples being taken, like one every or every other oil change?

Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hi Troy, it looks like you read my reply and logged off. The website did charge you to speak with me, was this something you still needed help with?