Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

92 Larson with 4.3 v6 mercruiser. Ran great at the lake get

Customer Question

92 Larson with 4.3 v6 mercruiser. Ran great at the lake get it home sits for 2 weeks go to start it and will not start. If is definitely getting fuel, turning over, spark to coil but will not start.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: just put on a new auto choke spring
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Remove the flame arrestor when engine is cold. What position is the choke plate? If it is open close it by adjusting the choke module. If it is closed how tightly closed is it? If to tight it can cause the engine to flood.

Now if adjustment ios good then turn key on and watch the choke does it start to open?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It remains closed completely while trying to start. It is definitely getting fuel because you can smell it after a few cranks. I pulled the wire going from the coil to distributor and there is spark. It just turns over and does not really seem like it is trying to start just turning over.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Ok open the choke plate. Loosen the 3 screws on the choke module and open the choke plate just a little. Once you have it set try starting the engine. If the choke plate is closed to long it will flood the engine. Once you get the engine started verify the choke is opening.