Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

How do I interface an external fuel tank to my Mercury 4 HP

Customer Question

How do I interface an external fuel tank to my Mercury 4 HP outboard engine (4 stroke)?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

All Mercurys are cataloged by serial number, can I start by getting that number.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
S/N: OR719243
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My name is Jeff
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hi Jeff,

This engine got sold***** It came with an intergrated tank at the top of the engine, and it came set up for a remote tank, with no engine mounted tank. Which style is yours?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have a small mounted tank on the engine
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

If you have the small tank there is no way to hook up an external tank unless you retrofit this, and remove the tank and then add connections for a remote tank. It's one or the other, intergrated tank or remote tank, but not both. Is that something you are looking to do, looking to retrofit, or did you want to know if hooking up was even possible?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
my fuel options are to use the internal fuel tank or an interface to an external fuel tank. It's one or the other.I am looking to retrofit to an external fuel tank. Is there a procedure to do this?
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Correct. There is no option for both at the same time, it's one or the other. It can be retrofitted if you want to add a remote tank, parts won't be that expensive to do it, but if you do it you will not be able to use the intergrated tank any longer. The engines tank is a 3 gallon tank, and will go the better part of a day running on just that. But if you need more range/time than a days worth of fuel before refilling then you would want to convert it to a remote tank setup.

Did you have any other questions on the issue?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, that covers it. Thanks!
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

You are very welcome.

I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen, you might have to scroll up if you can not see it. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Was there anything else Jeff?

Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

It looks like you read my answer without replying back or leaving a rating for my service. Please keep in mind the website did charge you to speak with me. But they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you until you select a rating for me. If you have a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, kindly select a rating for my service.

Thanks again,

Jason