Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

225carb will not come up to rpm have to play with it the

Customer Question

225carb will not come up to rpm have to play with it the temp gauge stays at 40 the other engine hangs at 3000rpm while this engine is at 2000rpm play with the trim and the fuel and she will break lose and they will both take off and run great
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hi Patrick, my name is Jason.

I don't understand your question.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the engine will not go over 2000rpm temp gauge reads 40 after playing with it a while we can get to go up to normal temp and rpm
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

I still don't understand, a temp gauge has nothing to do with how the engine will run. What is the story on these engines, how long have you owned them for, and have you ever personally seen them run to your satisfaction?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
this is a 97 pro-line with two merc 225 they have 700hrs when the engines are running they tech out at 5000 but the one when you started to more out only comes up to 2000rpm and runs rough if you play with a while she will take off and the temp comes up to normal
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Did you have any general or direct questions that you specifically wanted me to answer, or did you want me to explain how we would troubleshoot these engines in the shop, going step by step, covering all bases?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
is there a safety system in the cooling system that keeps the engine at 2000rpm and may be the thermostat hangs up
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
just tell me what can cause this ie thermostat sending unit pressure releive valve or sending unit
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

None of the above.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
then what would cause this
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

First thing is to make sure that you are getting the alarm test tone when you turn the keys on. If not, replace the engine warning horn and ensure that it is working. After that, when running this engine, make sure that you are not getting any alarm codes. That would cause the engine to not want to rev normally.

Check the thermostats on this engine and make sure that they are not hanging open, if they are, the engine will not operate properly until it come fully up to temp.