Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a 1999 Bayliner with a I/O 4.0 V6 mercruiser engine.

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Bayliner with a I/O 4.0 V6 mercruiser engine. The engine had problems idling and would stall..I rebult the carb and it seemed to fix the problem but when I put the boat in the water the problem returned..After a few minutes it started and ran with no problem and good power ..When I shut the engine off the problem returned..Again after about a half hour it started again with no problems.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hi Stephen, my name is Jason.

When was the last time the engine had a full tune up? That would include a new cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, and all filters.