Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

My 2001 40 hp merc 2 stroke been running ok, but tried

Customer Question

my 2001 40 hp merc 2 stroke been running ok, but tried starting it up after sitting just 3 wks and it would turn over but no fire, then noticed the cut off switch lanyard was puled. Flipped the cut off switch to on and figured it would be ok, but it still will turn over but won't fire, plugs wet, but no spark? fuse okany help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Locate part 34 in the diagram. Unplug the black and yellow wire from it and see if the spark returns to the engine. If so, replace the rev limiter. If it does not, you are going to need to test the voltage coming from the stator on the green/white and the white/green wires. It needs to be over 150 V AC when cranking.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc/Mercury/2001/1041412YN/ELECTRICAL%20COMPONENTS/parts.html