Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

My 4 hp Mercury has suddenly started to stop when I try to

Customer Question

Hi James,
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: My 4 hp Mercury has suddenly started to stop when I try to lower the rev in order to, for instance, go trawling for macarell. It is very anoying and I have removed the carburetor and tried to clean it several times. I strongly suspect a clogged ideling jet, but I can not find it! Isn't there anyone to be found or what? The carburetor brand is Keihin, Japan. I would be very grateful for advices on what to do.
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Best regards ***** *****
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hi Tomas, good morning my name is Jason.

All Mercurys are cataloged by serial number, can I start by getting that number so I can run it and see exactly which engine you have.