Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

My 2000 Yamaha 115 outboard has been sitting for a over a

Customer Question

My 2000 Yamaha 115 outboard has been sitting for a over a year. We took it out today and at 3000 RPM it would suddenly shake and stop, we'd put it back in neutral and it would take off again. We changed the fuel, fuel line, filter and spark plugs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Kelly
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hi Kelly, my name is Jason.

What is the model number on the engine?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've left the marina.... My husband recently passed away and people are coming to look at the boat tomorrow. The guy at the marina did me a favor to pre trial today and unfortunately the stalling happened. I know it's a 2-stroke, but any more info than that I don't know. I do have the title but limited info on engine. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

HI Kelly,

Did you have any general or direct questions that you specifically wanted me to answer? Or did you want me to explain how we would troubleshoot an engine with these symptoms in the shop, going step by step, covering all bases?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
A live call would be great Jason, but I'd want it to be directly to the guy that runs the marina. Their mechanic recently move back to London and they haven't found a replacement. Is it possible for him to call tomorrow morning? Thank you.
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

If you still have the boat, the issue is going to be in the carbs. Anytime that a boat engine sits for this long, the carbs will get gummed up and clogged. the repair is to remove the carbs, tear them down and totally clean them and the jets inside them. Reassemble using new needles, and new gaskets and o-rings.