Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Boat has no power. Dual batteries but no power to anything.

Customer Question

Boat has no power. Dual batteries but no power to anything. Will not turn over, no clicking sound, no accessories, etc. hard to believe both batteries could be that dead and with dead batteries don't you still hear clicking sound?
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: I think that is it. Motor is Yamaha 4 stroke 250 hp with low hours on a seagoing 235
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Do you have a hand held volt meter so we can check some voltages?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Steve and no
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hi Steve. Without a volt meter there isn't anything we can check. Is there some way I can help you?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If batteries are dead, would I still hear clicking sound? Seems like I would still hear clicking. I hear nothing - zero power anywhere
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

No, if the batteries were dead you would not hear anything.

Are your battery switches turned on?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will switch out Battery with another boat I have and see if that is the problem. Thanks
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

You are very welcome. Out of curiosity do any of the lights work on the boat, or any accessory such as a radio?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No. No power at all
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That is why I think it is bad connection somewhere not the batteries. Seems like batteries would produce at least a minimal amount of power
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

If you got nothing then chances are your batteries are dead. There are always 2 sets of circuits on every boat, you have your engine related circuits, and this covers the engine and anything related to the engine, such as the trim, the key switch, and the gauges. Then you have what is called the house circuits. House means everything else, every little light on the boat, as well as well as the bilge pump. The only thing the engine and house circuits have in common are the connection at the battery terminals themselves, so if those are tight, it won't be a connection issue. On boats, bilge pumps are wired separately from the battery switch, so turning off a battery switch will not turn off a bilge pump. Chances are one of the pumps stuck on and just ran and ran until the batteries died, does that make sense to you?

Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It was dead battery. Changed battery and cranked
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Glad to hear it! You will definitely want to check your bilge pumps and make sure they are not sticking on. Usually that's what does it.

Was there anything else?

Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

It looks like you read my answer without replying back or leaving a rating for my service. Please keep in mind the website did charge you to speak with me. But they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you until you select a rating for me. If you have a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, kindly select a rating for my service.

Thanks again,

Jason