Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

We have a 1980 85hp motor...we are having trouble getting it

Customer Question

We have a 1980 85hp motor...we are having trouble getting it to release and go down with the tilt and trim hydraulics. Have followed directions in manual but it's not working...we are new to there a video or a simple explanation?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Which engine are you asking about?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Val and it is a Mercury 80
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hi Val, all Mercurys are cataloged by serial number, can I get that number so I can run it and see exactly which engine you have,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thunderbolt 137572
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry(###) ###-####
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

First make sure that the trim lock on the port side of the engine is not engaged, and there is nothing blocking the engine from going down. then if when pressing the down button for the trim, you do not hear any clocking or the pump running, test the solenoid on the trim pump for voltage. If you are not getting any voltage there. Inspect the fuse in the main power lead, and the wires coming from the switch. you may just have either a failed fuse or a bad switch.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Charles...after getting a message saying that just answer couldn't supply the answer, we figured it out our selves...
Thanks turned out when we had it serviced, they didn't put any oil in the hydraulic pump...
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Thats odd, You should not have gotten a message such as that.

But glad to hear that is was something simple.

Happy boating.