Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

I have a 2008 Sea Ray 290 Sundeck with a Mercury MerCruiser

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Sea Ray 290 Sundeck with a Mercury MerCruiser 8.1 liter, 375 hp engine that suddenly stopped without any warning and since then been impossible to start again. It cranks fine but totally without a spark. A local mechanic has spent almost a day going over everything and not been able to come up with an answer. He has suggested that we change a sensor to see if that will help. I do not know that much about boat myself and unfortunately there are not that many boat mechanics in Sacramento. Do you have any suggestions to my mechanic?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Sorry about the delay, it is crazy busy here on the site.

Have the tech swap out the crank position sensor on the engine. This is what tells the system when to fire. If it has failed, you will have no spark at all.