Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

How do I remove the tilt and trim motor from a 1978 70 hp

Customer Question

How do I remove the tilt and trim motor from a 1978 70 hp Johnson Outboard? It is an old 3 wire system and I already have the new motor just need to get the old one off and the new one on.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: not at this time
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

There are a number of ways to do this. One is to remove the trim and tilt assembly from between the motor brackets. That involves removing the top pin in the tilt ram then removing the bolts in the side of the brackets 3 on each side then rotating the trim unit out of the brackets.

The other way is to remove the motor from the boat and then remove the trim motor from the trim unit. To remove the engine from the boat remove all 4 motor mount bolts from the mount brackets. In most cases you can pull the motor off without disconnecting the controls or steering. You just need to get the motor off and turn it so you can get to the trim motor bolts.

Which way would you like to try. I can go into more detail if need be?