Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

I am looking at a used 1981 Princess 35. It has 2 Volvo

Customer Question

I am looking at a used 1981 Princess 35. It has 2 Volvo KAMD300 engines with 850 hours
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Do these engines have any life in them?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: How do these engines compare with it other modes in this market?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

These engine have allot of life in them. They will go 10,000 hours with regular maintenance from a certified Volvo techs working on these engines.

These engines are better than most although expensive to maintain. I would rate then higher than any others in the same class.

The only issues I have seen on these engines are lack of maintenance and supercharger issues. But you should get allot more hours out of these engines. Now sitting unused is not good for any engine. So I would have a certified Volvo technician go over these engines real well before purchase and definitely take the boat for a ride to be sure engine perform as they should. The boat ride is the most important test you can perform on engine. If there are any issues it will show up in the boat ride.

Post back with questions.