Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

Just rebuilt carbs on my mercury 2 stroke 3 cylinder 2005

Customer Question

just rebuilt carbs on my mercury 2 stroke 3 cylinder 2005 outboard. Fuel was leaking out the where the fuel line connects to the carburators. I replaced the ful lines and installed 3 new carb kits. Fired it up and the cough was gone for 5 minutes and than it started loosing fuel out the fitting again except the 2nd carburetor this time. Last time it was the top one.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: hello
JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: having issues with fuel leaking out my fuel fitting to carburetor when is coughs
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

What kind of clamps are you using on your fuel lines?

Could I get the engine serial number please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
same that was there before...tye raps0T590000
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Did you use the correct tool for putting tension on the tie and cutting them off? It takes a special tool and a special tie rap.

Here is the tie rap.

Here is the tie gun.

If you aren't using the correct ties or the correct tool you won't get then tight enough. The back fire won't have anything to do with fuel supply.

The backfiring has to do with setting the carbs up correctly. You have to use a balance gauge to set the carbs up so the engine runs correctly.

Here is the correct tool for setting the carbs up.

These tools are required to do the carb set up correctly.

Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Are you available for phone call?

According to the serial number you posted this is a 4 stroke engine.

Can you verify the serial number please?