Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

May taco on a JH44E failed. Then when I restarted it settled

Customer Question

may taco on a JH44E failed. Then when I restarted it settled down but engine stopped so fault seems intermittent. thought to check the sensor wires but can't locate it - Steve
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: The engine appears to run fine, but the tachometer needle was inoperative. I'm unsure whether this is sensor problem or tachometer failure but am not familiar with where the taco sensor is located on the engine
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: no there are no other symptoms
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

You will most likely just have a bad tach, if the issue was on the engine it would be more of a consistent issue. Replacing the tach will correct the problem that you are having.