Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a twin 350 merc in a 280 sea ray, on my way home it

Customer Question

I have a twin 350 merc in a 280 sea ray, on my way home it felt like the starboard engine started to slip,putting the synchronizer hard to the port side
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: engines sound fine, but while trying plane out, I could here what sounded like one engine dropping out and the rpm on both engines remain steady
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: I believe they are alpha 1 drives, no problem at low speed
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Try to accelerate the boat on just the stbd engine. If the engine will rev but not move the boat, you will either have a spun hub in the prop or a blown coupler between the engine and the drive.