Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

I have a 2006 Optimax 225 that has been having difficulty

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Optimax 225 that has been having difficulty with power it gets on plane but only if I jack up the plate then it runs Ok until I hit 4100 rpms but when I try to go over that it starts to surge oscillating between 3200 and 3800 rpms. There are no alarms but it has turned off while at idle.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Ensue that when you turn the key on, you are hearing the test beep. If you are not, that needs to be repaired first before going further. If you are, Make sure that you are firing on all 6 cylinders by using a timing light to watch the flashing. this year engine had a issue with the coils going out and them it could also short out the ECU.