chester298
chester298,
69243481

I bought a 2002 SeaDoo GTX RFI used. The crank bearings were

Customer Question

I bought a 2002 SeaDoo GTX RFI used. The crank bearings were shot. I bought a new crank and case as well as new rings, pistons, and gaskets. I've rebuilt motorcycle motors before sucessfully. Everything went back together pretty easily on the jetski.
After putting everything back together and in the ski, it won't idle. I can start it on a hose and if I hold the throttle open a little it will run for a bit. It revs up just fine, but anything nearing idle and it dies out.
I drained the old fuel and put in fresh. I also put in a new battery to make sure the voltage was ok. I had a service manual and did the rotary valve timing procedure so I think that's correct.
Is there something I'm missing that I need to check?
Category: Boat
Expert:  chester298 replied 6 months ago.

Hi and welcome to Just answer.

Initially, try to check ring under the rotary valve cover. It was causing the ECU to dump too much fuel and choke it out also allowing air to be sucked in.

Another thing need to check is mag cylinder. If it is one that only idles on the mag cylinder you might have a clogged injector. Try switching them and see if it helps. RFI's are known to have problems with the voltage regulators too.

Hope this information will be helpful.

IMPORTANT: If you are satisfied to my answer please don't forget to rate,,GOOD OR EXCELLENT rating and BONUS are greatly appreciated...

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

What do you mean by the ring? Is there an o ring or a gasket under there? Is it between the rotary valve and the cover, or behind the valve?

Yes there is O ring under the valve between the cover.

Also check other thing I mentioned above.