Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

My 115 2 stroke yamaha has a new water pump and the heads

Customer Question

my 115 2 stroke yamaha has a new water pump and the heads redone but still run hot what can be wrong now ?
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: it ran hot so had new water pump put on and the heads redone on it
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: 1 piston has some marks on it the others are fine
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
can it still run hot with no themostats ? Is it maybe getting too much water flow now and maybe put themostats back in which the motor didnt have them before?
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Scott, my name is Jason.

What is the model number on this engine?

How hot is it getting, did you take the engines temperatures manually with an IR temp gun?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i dont have the model number and no i dont know how hot it really is. the alarm goes off and i have to slow down to safe speed untill it goes off and then i can take off agin untill the alarm goes off again which isn't long
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
how can you tell if you have a cracked block ? would the motor sound funny or something ?
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

The only way to tell if the block is cracked is by taking it apart and looking at it.

You could just have a faulty temp sensor, activating prematurely. In the shop what we do is run the boat with the engine cover off. Duplicate the alarm, shut the engine off and take it's temperature with an infra red temp gun. The engine should run around 160F. If it is, then the temp sensor is faulty, activating before it should. If he engine is hot, then we would replace the impeller and thermostats and retest. These engines must be run with a working thermostat, they have open cooling systems so they can actually overheat with no thermostat in them.

Did you have any other questions on the issue?

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

It looks like you read my answer without replying back or putting through a rating for me. Please keep in mind the website did charge you to speak with me, but they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you out if no rating is put through. If you have a problem with the ratings box or can not see it please let me know.

Thanks

Jason