Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

04 ebbitide 5.0 after running for a while it cranks and with

Customer Question

04 ebbitide 5.0 after running for a while it cranks and with not start, next day it starts fine with no problem, noticed the rpm fluctuate a little bit.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hi Kyle, my name is Jason

All Mercruisers are cataloged by serial number, can I get that number so I can run it and see exactly which engine you have.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Jason , serial # 0M683933,
After two hours of use I stopped then it will not start, it would turn over and fire for a second then quit, now it's running.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hi Kyle,

Got the serial number. Have you done any checking on your own yet, namely to see if it was loosing spark or loosing fuel pressure when it will not start?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was at the lake and I was planning to check it when I get back, but it's running now. When it starts and fires the rpm goes up and down. Until idle goes back to normal.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Hello Kyle. My name is Tan.

The rpm going up and down at start up is the IAC(idle air control) valve. The IAC controls the amount of air going in to the engine during cranking and idle. When the engine doesn't want to start advance the throttle just a little. Does it start? When it does start and the idle goes up and down advance the throttle a little does engine smooth?

If engine starts and idle better when you advance the throttle the IAC is the problem. The IAC on these motors is a common issue.

# 16 is the IAC.

Post back with questions and findings.

Thank you...Tan

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How can I advance the throttle before it starts , it engages the gear and it will not start if it's if forward
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

In the center of the throttle handle is a button push in on the button and push the throttle forward. Then you can give it a little throttle. This is idle only position. To get back to normal operation pull handle back to neutral and button will pop out now you can put engine in gear normally.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the boat starts with no problem now, the only way to make it act up is taking it to the lake and run it for two hours then get stranded. Do you thing replacing the IAC is a good start for now.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

I would as that seems top be a problem with these engines and you are exhibiting symptoms of an IAC failure.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for everything I will keep you posted.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Your welcome.Please don't forget to positively rate my help as that is the only way I get credit for helping you.

Rate by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. 3 or more please.

Thank you...Tan