Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

I have a 2007 formula 260 with a MerCruiser 495 8.1 L engine

Customer Question

I have a 2007 formula 260 with a MerCruiser 495 8.1 L engine equipped with SmartCraft. The issue is when I take the boat out for a run usually within the first 5 minutes of accelerating I will experience a brief interruption like somebody pulled the plug or hit a switch or gas was interrupted to the carburetor and then everything picks back up again this is for a second if not less. A moment later "lost engine comm" will come across the tachometer display and then it goes away and the boat will run fine, until I take it out the next day and it does it again... This has been going on for 6-9 months and it seems to happen more frequently now than before... I believe it is tied to the SmartCraft system… How do I fix this?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Its not the SmartCraft that is causing the engine to stall, I would inspect the kill switch, the key switch, and the connection to the engine. One of these is going to be lose and causing an intermittent connection, thus, stalling the engine for a moment.