Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

90 s yamaha 6 hphave to keep choke pulled out to keep it

Customer Question

90 s yamaha 6 hphave to keep choke pulled out to keep it running
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Hello Brian. My name is Tan.

How long has the engine been sitting unused? This is fuel starvation.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OFF AND ON MAY BE 8 MONTHS DOES IT MATTER HOW LONG THE FUEL HOSE IS TO THE MOTOR RITE NOW ITS ABOUT 6/8 FT LONG HAS A GOOD PRIMER BULB AND A [N LINE FUEL FILTER INSIDE THE MOTOR COVER DONT KNOW IF I NEED THAT OR NOT
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

The length of the hose makes no difference. Do this start motor and when it acts like it wants to die squeeze the primer bulb does it run better?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
WELL YES AND NO SQ BUSY WITH THE CHOKE FINALLY JUST LEAVE THE CHOKE OUT SOMETIMES HAVEING TO FETHER IT
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Ok the carburetor is the problem. Having to keep the choke out is a sign of a clogged carburetor. The choke creates a vacuum in the carb allowing the engine to suck more fuel to keep running. Remove the carburetor, disassemble, clean and install a carb kit.

Post the engine model number I can get you a part number for the carb kit.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
MODEL 6MLHS CODE 6 H 6 SERIAL NO.317092
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Kits are not available anymore. You will need parts # 21,13, 30,31,33&34. Those are the usual parts. If you find any others that are worn or questionable replace. These parts take care of the carb and fuel pump.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/yamaha-outboard-parts/1994/6/6MLHS/620302410004