Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

I noticed the top not on the engine mount on the port side

Customer Question

I noticed the top not on the engine mount on the port side has a distance now to the engine "foot". I'm not sure if the top bolt has rotated upwards or if the bottom not is falling down. The mount is slightly lower on the port side now compared to starboard but not by much. Should I now tighten the top nut? Or should I lift the engine by tightening the bottom nut? I am presuming I should not let this be? I am unable to re-align until I pull it out of the water come fall. What are the signs of misalignment that I should be paying attention to?Mercruiser 6.2 2015 / Sea Ray 270 Sundancer
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Try and get the distance from the bottom of the mount the same on both sides using the lower nut. Then tighten the top nut down against the mount. Make sure to have the shop align the engine after the season, otherwise you could take out the coupler or gimble bearing.