Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

1997 mercruiser 502/hp500 (carburated) cuts out at low

Customer Question

1997 mercruiser 502/hp500 (carburated) cuts out at low speeds. at higher speeds it cuts out intermediately but will keep running. I thought it was electrical so I replaced the tach and ignition sensor. Possibly the coil or ignition module will be next. I just hate to keep throwing money at it. Its been going on for approximately 3 years but is getting progressively worse, more often. I have owned the boat since 1998. Its a 1997 Checkmate 253 Convincer with no modifications at all. Engine was rebuilt 7 years ago by a Merc Tech and put back together to factory specs. I don't believe its fuel. It seems to be something in the ignition. Anmy help would be great. Thank You Shawn
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: I don't believe so. thank you.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Shawn, my name is Jason.

Do you happen to have the serial number on the engine so I can run it and see which ignition system you have?