Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

97 seadoo gsi not getting fuel from the carb to the engine,

Customer Question

97 seadoo gsi not getting fuel from the carb to the engine
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: 97 seadoo gsi not getting fuel from the carb to the engine
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: rebuilt the carb
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 7 months ago.

HI and thank you for your question.

I understand your carb is not getting fuel from the carb to the engine. This raises a few questions I would need you to answer so I can help you diagnose and repair your ski.

First, why did you rebuild the carb?

2nd, How are you determining that the fuel is getting to the carb but not to the engine?

3rd, Have you done a compression test since this problem appeared?

Thanks,

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just recently bought the ski and I am aware of the gray tempo lines deteriorating so to avoid any potential problems I replaced the fuel lines and rebuilt the carb at the same time. The new fuel lines are clear and I can see the fuel being delivered to the carb and return to the tank. The engine has compression but I don't have a tester to give you an exact psi reading. The ski ran before the work was done but it seemed to "bog" down after a long day on the water. The ski will run when a 50:1 mix poured directly in to the cylinders as well as when poured into the carb.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

With the information you provided, it is indicating we need to do a compression test and see exactly what we are getting on both cylinders. Why I request that is based on your description of the fuel apparently moving through the carb but no start. That narrows down the highest probability items to either a mechanical problem that is preventing the engine from creating the vacuum needed to draw fuel in, or, a restriction or assembly issue with the carb.

Out if curiosity, which fitting on the fuel pump do you have the fuel in on?

That notwithstanding, my gut instinct is it sounds like the carb is not correctly assembled.I am not attempting to criticize you here, but respond honestly to your information and get you up and running ASAP. Sometimes, in the process of doing that, it is necessary to question a procedure, so please don't take it personally. I am asking you to do exactly what I would be doing if you brought your ski to me to have a look at it. If it is truly drawing fuel from the tank into the carb, engine vacuum should pull the fuel from the fuel chamber into the engine. If it is coming in and returning......... we need to figure out what is preventing the engine from getting fuel.

This is a curious set of symptoms you are providing. Based solely on your description, it would be reasonable to expect the engine to run. It also sounds like the fuel pump is working because it is drawing fuel from the tank to the carb. My only thought there would be testing how quickly it fills the fuel lines by emptying the line from the filter to the carb, and see how long ti takes to fill back up. Do you know where you set your fuel screws at?

Thanks,

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I understand. I may have done something wrong on the rebuild. Just trying to get to the bottom of the issue. I'll have to do a compression test at a later time and get back to you. I didn't touch the fuel screws.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 7 months ago.

Super. Thank you. We both need to keep an open mind to avoid wasting time. :)

Customer/p>

BTW, can you trace the fuel lines and tell me which line is connected to where?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ii will in the daylight. Thanks
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 7 months ago.

No problem and no rush. Do what you need to do. When you post again, I get an e mail plus your post is on the top of the page with a notification for me.