Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

I have a 2005 Mercury Optimax 115ELPTO 3 cyl outboard. When

Customer Question

Hello I have a 2005 Mercury Optimax 115ELPTO 3 cyl outboard. When I push the throttle past 3500 RPMs the alarm goes off with a continuous beep. It will shut itself down if I continue to increase throttle. It starts and runs fine and is burning oil at what seems to be normal rate and water has been pumping through cooling system no problem. I also have a fuel/water separator filter in line to prevent water in the gas. Everything works fine except that it will not run past 3500 RPM.
I have looked through the service manual and cannot figure out what it might be.
Any suggestions?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

With the beeping alarm going off, it is telling you that a sensor is out of range. Getting it at 3500 RPM would tell me that it is the shift switch on the engine that is sticking and not allowing you to accelerate. Locate the switch under the oil tank, then unplug it, If the problem stops, replace the switch.