Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

How difficult is it to replace the water pump on an OMC

Customer Question

How difficult is it to replace the water pump on an OMC Cobra V8?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

This is a random choice 1992 5.7 Cobra.

This is one of the easiest water pumps to replace long as the boat is out of the water. It could be done in the water but easier out.

Tilt drive down. Remove the 3 screws # 72 from cover # 69. Behind the cover is the pump. Remove pump housing # 67 replace all pump parts that are worn. http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/99/99_07.pdf

Post back with questions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I checked and I actually have an OMC Cobra 5.8 Liter engine. Is the repair about the same? Also, the boat is on a lift and I am hoping I can do the repair from a little dingy floating in water. Do you think that is a viable plan?
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Same drive. The only difference in drives is if you have a King Cobra.

You should be able to do this in the dinghy. Tie a line to your tools.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Before I order the water pump replacement kit, I wonder if there is anything other than water pump failure that might cause the engine to suddenly overheat. I don't see any leaking hoses, water in the bilge or anything like that. Your thoughts, please.
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Sudden over heat is usually a water pump failure. The other things that cause over heat are usually gradual. You might replace the thermostat.

Is this boat used in salt water? How old or how many hours do you have on the manifolds and risers?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I would like to wait until I attempt the repair before rating the advice. I have order the parts and expect to do the repair by next weekend at the latest. I hope this is okay.
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Ok. Can I ask why? Didn't I answer your question?